1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How old do chicks need to be to put out in the Coop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cdeans, Nov 25, 2008.

1. cdeans

cdeans Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Just as it says I have some chicks that a 5 weeks old, they are fully feathered, I am just wondering when they can be put out into there coop.

Thanks!

2. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    They're really not FULLY feathered until more like 8 weeks. It just depends on the birds and your weather.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I put mine out at about 2-3 weeks, BUT they're in a secure draft-free brooder in one of my coops with a heat lamp.

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    5 week olds are not fully feathered. If they are standard large fowl they won't be fully feathered until 10 - 12 weeks.

This time of year you may as well reconcile yourself and bite the bullet. You must provide them heat for another month to two months depending on just how cold night time temps fall.

I am in Central Va. I know how cold it is here at night. Your babies would die in a matter of days without proper heat and brooding.

You can put them out.Make sure they have heat, no drafts and are secure inside, especially at night.

5. joshplus10

joshplus10 Out Of The Brooder

My first chicks are 7 weeks old now, but they've been out of the hay bale"nursery" in my barn and in their coop since they were 4 weeks old. My coop doesn't have a door, but I mounted a 250 watt infrared lamp about 18 inches off the ground in one corner. In the middle Rio Grande valley, we have had a thin sheet of ice on the horses' trough almost everynight for a couple of weeks, but the days are sunny and 60s. I just started using a heater waterer so the chicks don't have to peck at ice. I'm impressed with how hardy my little girls are!

6. flchickenlady

flchickenlady Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I don't put mine outside 24/7 until they're 16 weeks old. Before that if it's a sunny warm day they go outside, but I bring them in at night.

7. cdeans

cdeans Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    thanks everyone for the replys!

8. birdsofparadise

birdsofparadise Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    North Kohala, Hawaii
    Quote:In Florida you keep them in a brooder for 16 weeks? That must be a big brooder since the chicks are almost fully grown at 4 months! Why the long delay?

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I put my brooder into the nursery coop when they are about a month old. They have a run. I leave the brooder in the coop for about a week then take it out. I have one 250 watt red heat brooder lamps and two 175 watt ones. They are on a timer. I live near Ocala Florida. I open the pop door every morning so they can go out into the run. There is a picture of it on my BYC page.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  10. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Shoot, my Ameraucanas went out in the main coop at 7 weeks old on Friday when we were still in the 20-30°F range. This morning it cleared up and we dipped to -5°F outside, and it was 10°F inside the coop, and they are all just fine. There are 14 of them so they can huddle for warmth, and my 14 week old BBS orpingtons joined in the huddle.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by