How old do CornishX cocks get before they start to crow?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by big greg barker, Jan 11, 2009.

1. big greg barker

big greg barker Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    central maine
    Hi,
    I am thinking of raising some meaties this spring, along with a replacement flock of layers. Since cockerels are cheaper than pullets or straight runs, I'd like to go that way, but I live in a neighborhood where crowing roosters would definitely be a problem. I would have to put them closer to the neighbors than my layers are, and want to make sure they have a chance to go the whole 8 - 10 weeks that they require. So, when do they start squawking like they're dying as they learn to crow?

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Mine have always been fairly quiet. Even at 12 weeks we didn't have any crowers.

3. minifarmer

minifarmer Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2008
    warren county, ohio
    both of my c/x batches started crowing at 6 weeks...admittedly it was pretty pathetic sounding, but they learned pretty fast. By 10 weeks they were almost up with my real roosters. Hens were laying by 14 weeks... p.s. mine were from Mt. Healthy Hatchery, and I think there are a few different strains out there, so you may get quieter ones. karla

4. muddler6

muddler6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2007
    Jefferson County, PA
    Mine also started about 6 weeks, you could always try talking to your neighbors ahead of time and let them know that you want to raise some, and see if they would mind the funny noise for a couple weeks, and even offer up one of your birds as thanks for putting up with the sqwaking. But if you have roosters they will try their darndest to crow.

5. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    A cornish cross crowing? They should be butchered around 6-8 weeks so crowing, if any, will be kept to a minimum.

6. justpete

justpete Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Southern NH
    Mine start at about 7 weeks. Out of 50 birds maybe one or two may crow.
    In the freezer at 8 weeks give the neighbors little time to complain.

7. Andrew711

Andrew711 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2008
    How old must egg breed roosters be before they start crowing? Please reply by email [email protected] Thank You

8. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

I had 30 last year and did not hear one crow.

9. HidingInTheHenHouse

HidingInTheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I always have one or two that start at 7 or 8 weeks, but it's sporadic and pathetic sounding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by