How old do eggs need to be to peel easily

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Ukyou, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Ukyou

Ukyou Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2010
    My son loves hard boiled eggs, so I was planning to put aside some eggs specifically for him to have hard boiled. I am a bit tired of cutting the egg in half and mangling it with a spoon to get it out.

2. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    About a week +/-

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Huhhh...I thought the key was putting them under really cold water (then the fridge) after removing from heat. I didn't know age of the egg had anything to do with it [​IMG]

4. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    I have seen topics on here concerning this...a method to make fresh eggs peel easily, but I cant remember what it was. If you put "boiling fresh egs" in the search box at the upper right hand corner of the page, it would probably pull them up.

5. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    Bring water to a rolling boil with a palm full of salt. Put ROOM TEMPERATURE EGGS into water and continue boiling for 14 minutes. Ice shock and they will peel![​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  6. Leah and peeps

Leah and peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Canada
    I will have to try this! Mine never peel!! By the time they are "peeled" im already down to the yolk!

7. flyweed

flyweed Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Holmen
    fresh eggs are very hard to peel, as are Cortunix eggs when hardboiled...I have a nifty trick I use.....after hard boiling them....I dump the eggs for a soak in vinegar.....it takes the shell off and leaves a nice, non ripped up boiled egg...once you rinse them you cannot taste the vinegar either. Works great.

8. CDennis

CDennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    Quote:I am going to try that, seems like to me. It takes at least 3 weeks in the fridge before I have any luck peeling them. I think the eggs you get at the store are over a month old, which is why they peel better.

9. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
  10. bigpinkmotherhen

bigpinkmotherhen Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2010
    How long does it take in the vinegar?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by