how old do muscovies start laying?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by KWAK, Dec 23, 2011.

1. KWAK

KWAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    Michigan
    Myne are about 15 weeks old. when will they lay?

2. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:1.) shes to young.
    2.) muscovies are seasonal layers. (meaning they dont lay in winter or fall)

3. ian4379

ian4379 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Australia
    my answer will be a little different due to location. i'm in australia and my girls lay 4 times a year, 3 times in spring/summer then once in winter, where i live we dont get snow but we get bad frosts, enough to effect the hatch rates during winter ,but some still hatch. say 4 to 6 out of 20. in general muscovy are thought to be mature at 7 months, i've had some lay at 5.5 months and i think i saw someone on here who had them lay earlier than that!

4. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Do you mean they lay a clutch, set, brood and wean the ducklings and then start another set four times a year or what ? How long does a "time" last ?

5. ian4379

ian4379 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Australia
    i take the mums away at three weeks, so right now i have 13 week old ducklings and the mum has just hatched out another lot a week ago, so thats a 12 week turn around. she'll most likely have another lot hatched out by the end of the season here while its still a bit warm at the end of march into april. they are baby making machines!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  6. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Mine started at 4mths... and the one has almost never stopped laying everyday since.. now i have two laying again.. and i definitely have winter(well below freezing, I'm in Canada).. so them not laying in fall/winter has not been my experience, i just got another two eggs again today and it was -11C last night brrr.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  7. iajewel

iajewel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    Muscovy need to be at least 1yr to be sexually mature.

8. iajewel

iajewel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    Quote:Are you sure those eggs are coming from a Muscovy? I have never heard of one laying that young.

9. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    they do lay in winter. i am in mid tenn and my scovy duck has laid 9 eggs and the last three were three days in a row, tommorow will be four eggs. i also think she is wanting to set. she hangs around the nest box during the day.

10. Sadiew

Sadiew Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Spain
    Mine are 7 months old now and one started to lay about 6 weeks ago and lays one egg a day. We do not have same winter temps here as in other parts of the world though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by