how old do muscovies start laying?

I'm in MI, and my 'scovies usually start laying here and there in February again, sporadically. My Welsh Harlequins haven't quit since they came back in from their moult.
smile.png

Each 'batch' of ducklings takes varying amount of time for each hen to raise. I've taken clutches away from a momma the day they hatched (sold them), and she went broody again a few weeks later. When they raise some, I've had them start a new nest when their last babies were as young as 6 weeks.

Usually a very productive hen will get in 2 clutches per year in my climate.

I've heard of 'babies' hatchign out their own babies. One incidence was an early spring hatched hen (without even her full mask of caruncles yet) laid, brooded, hatched, and raised a clutch of 15 ducklings late fall the year she was hatched.

MOST of mine will start to lay the spring after they were hatched. They are NOT an 'egg laying' breed in that they are VERY seasonal and sporadic in their lay. They are not an 'egg a day' layers UNLESS they are building a nest to set. I've had hens stop laying (or simply hide her nest) when I take the eggs for eating on a daily basis. Most of the time, they hide their nest and return over a month later with a line of fuzzballs behind them.
smile.png

Quote:
Thats incredible. I agree that most of mine also will start laying the spring after they were hatched.

I don't' always know whats going on in regards to eggs here on the farm either. My dog that protects the flocks won't touch an egg in the egg laying area, however if its on the ground its fair game. When I separate them to breed them, then of course the dog can't eat the eggs, so really if they are not in breeding pens, I don't get a duck egg one.
Since the general population area is so large I was finding allot of rotten eggs I had ever looked, and so did the ducks I guess, so I taught the dog it was ok to pick them up and eat them in that area.

Back
Top Bottom