1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How old do my hens have to be in order to give me fertile eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by harleyjo, Feb 17, 2012.

1. harleyjo

harleyjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    I have Delaware chickens and a rooster that are end of July 2011 hatch. I collected some eggs and put them in the incubator and now a week later, no development. Some of the hens had only been laying a few weeks.

2. Christie Rhae

Christie Rhae Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
    I just set some eggs from mature hens with two July cockerels. Gonna wait and see the same thing. They sure act like they are mating the hens but I have doubts about their ....accuracy. lol
    Maybe it takes practice to actually do the deed? In a couple days I will candle the eggs. If none are developing I will assume those young boys need just a little more practice at uh... gettin it done. [​IMG]

3. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

It's most likely the cockerels that aren't doing the job, males mature slower than the females. Before you start to think about incubating eggs, what you need to do is crack eggs from your hens whenever your cooking, and look for the white bulls eye in the egg that signifies it's fertile. If you don't know what I'm talking about, look up "bulls eye" on the forum or something like that, and there should be several posts containing pictures and descriptions. If youve been making your morning omelette every day for a week, and notice the bullseye each time, then the eggs you're getting are fertile and ready for incubation. Good luck[​IMG]

4. harleyjo

harleyjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    Yes, I know the bullseye and I did crack one open today and it was fertile so I am starting to collect again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by