How old do these girls look?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by speckledegg, Jul 21, 2011.

1. speckledegg

speckledegg Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    W. WA
    I wasn't sure where to post this, so please move it if it's in the wrong place!

I recently aquired two new chickies to add to our flock. They haven't been integrated in with my younger chicks yet. We still have they VERY far apart to minimize whatever risk there may be of getting my 3 littles sick. Anyway, the guy I got these from said they had a Feb. 1st hatch date. I'm thinking if that were the case, they would look like they were MUCH closer to laying. They don't look anywhere near close to laying in my opinion, but then again, I'm new to raising chickens. So, what are your thoughts? How old do these girls look?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I should add that one is a Golden Sexlink and the other is a Black SL. [​IMG]

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    hmm I thought sexlinks started laying earlier than many breeds. I mean, my 5 month old pullets look about like that but they are Orpingtons. I'm with you, I think they're younger than that but I can't help you with exactly how old they might be.

3. shellyga

shellyga Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Milner
    They look a little younger.. but I have to caution about laying being the indicator of age.. I have some sex-link and RIR that are suppose to be laying already.. but nadaaaaaa

Shelly

4. chicklover16

chicklover16 queen of flirts

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    hm, I'm gonna say about 17 weeks.

5. speckledegg

Jun 2, 2011
    W. WA
    Ok, so not too far off. Will their combs and waddles get bigger?

6. ddmiddle7

ddmiddle7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Your black one looks a lot like my BA...but mine has a full crop and waddles already and mine are fifteen weeks. Are you sure she is a BSL? I ordered mine from Cackle and got 5 BA and mine look a lot like yours. I wonder if I actually got BAs now though if yours is actually a BSL.
    I'm gonna hang around to see what others think.

7. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    The RSL looks about 3 months. Mine started getting red combs and laying at 16-17 weeks.

8. speckledegg

Jun 2, 2011
    W. WA
    Quote:I'm pretty sure she's a BSL. She has the green irridecent feathers and some brown on her neck which I think the BSL have. Now, since this is my first BSL, I can't say for sure! I suppose it's possible she's a BA too. The farm I got her from had those for sale too. The lady who helped me said the BSL were the ones with the brown on their necks though.

9. speckledegg

Jun 2, 2011
    W. WA
    Quote:Wow! Why would someone tell me they are older than they are? I was expecting their combs and waddles to be larger if they really were hatched in February so I can't say I'm surprised.

10. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    Quote:I agree, I have a RSL that looks just like yours. They are 16 wks old. Here's a pic I took a few days ago. Mine hatched April 4th and April 11th.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by