How old do you think my new rooster is?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by eksterhuis, Jan 29, 2012.

1. eksterhuis

eksterhuis Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2012
    He is a splash Orpington... I've not heard him crow yet... He is a bit afraid of the ladies still! They seem to be beating up on him a bit!!!
    [​IMG]

2. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    He still looks like a baby. 2-3 months maybe. Its hard to judge his size from a picture. If he isn't crowing yet he's probably under 6 months. From this pic i am confident he is under 5 months.

3. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    I agree. He's 4 months old at the most, likely much younger.

4. eksterhuis

eksterhuis Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2012
    So he has a bit of growing up to do before he can be put to 'stud duties'! He is being picked on by my 3 month bantams so I was guessing he was young... They are half his size, but then they try and boss the big old hens about! He certainly doesn't have a clue he is a man, but then our last Orpington was such a gentleman too...

5. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Well i know from experience that roosters literally change over night. One day I'm picking up my rooster and he's the nicest guy in the world. The next day he's chasing me, trying to attack me, crowing, and acting like a stud lol.

6. NixNoodleNumbat

NixNoodleNumbat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Australia
    I think between 15 and 25 weeks.

7. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    I have a young black Orp roo. He is over 5 months old now, close to 6, and just last week finally started giving the other cockerels a hard time for trying to pick on him. He's just always been so sweet and laid back. He's never crowed yet, at least I haven't seen him do it (I'm a bit over run with cockerels right now, I have 11 I think.) He's twice the size of the others, so I knew he wouldn't be taking their crap for too long! ;) He's a sweetie, though. He's the only one that made it out of a batch of shipped bbs Orp eggs, and I thought he'd be a cull since we have no hens to breed, but I like him so much, I think he's going to be a keeper. :) Yours looks very young to me, I would guess about 3-4 months old based on what my Orp looks/looked like, but like I said, I only have the one, so I'm not terribly experienced with the breed. Mine was definitely a late bloomer, though, so don't expect much from him any time soon. He has a LOT of growing and filling out to do before he puts some energy into being a roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by