How old do you think these chicks are?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kara1015, Apr 16, 2012.

1. kara1015

kara1015 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    New Hampshire
    Newbie here -- got these 2 chicks at a 'swap' over the weekend. It was so hectic I forgot how old the man said they were, any guesses? They are RI reds, I hope! ;)

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. AZ_HenHouse

AZ_HenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2011
    They look alot like my 3 week old chicks in the feathering department.

3. FirewifeJess

FirewifeJess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2012
    Gallifrey
    Yes, I would say 3 weeks old as well, since they very closely resemble my 3 week old RIRs :)

4. Kara.... If you can get a pic up without the red light, I can probably tell you what breed they are for certain. As far as age goes, everyone else got it.

5. kara1015

Feb 15, 2012
    New Hampshire
    I have them under a 250 watt heat bulb -- when can I stop doing this? We went the to swap to get pullets, and got talked into these two. Not sure it was a good idea, I'm worried about them! When will they be old enough to join the other girls?

6. j and bs hens

j and bs hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2012
    Vancouver Island
    You should reduce the heat by about 5 degrees a week, you can also lift the lamp. This will take some of the intensity off of the chicks. Are they inside your house or out in a shed/coop?

Do they go to the corner of the brooder away from the light? If they do, it's too warm for them.

Good luck with your chicks. (3 weeks old.... :))

7. kara1015

Feb 15, 2012
    New Hampshire
    I'll get better pics in the morning. They are in our basement now... we have dogs, so it's the only safe place. I have the heat lamp about a foot above them. What temperature should they be at? I just took those pics, that's pretty much how they are all the time. One is always trying to fly out, the other is more docile. I think I need to get them a bigger box tomorrow... they are sure alot of work!

8. FirewifeJess

FirewifeJess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2012
    Gallifrey
    Only one foot above them is probably way too close for them, but make sure to use a thermometer or keep an eye on their behavior. Have they settled down yet and gone to sleep? If they lay right under the light on top of each other, they are too cold. If they lay right around the lighted area they are probably about right, and if they are sleeping pretty far away from the light it's too hot. At 3 weeks old the temp under the light at chick height should probably only be about 80-85 degrees. They really aren't that much work, just don't worry about them! Let them settle in without too much interaction for a day or so and then start feeding or treating them from your hand. Wait until they're comfortable with you before grabbing them and holding them. They'll LOVE you soon enough though! I just got my first ever 15 chicks 2 weeks ago and they're a piece of cake once you get used to them.

9. your lamp is wayyyy to close for their age. I could write a paragraph about just watching them to adjust the heat.....but it is much easier to take the temp probably. Since you have a red bulb...im going to guess it is a 250 watt and not 125. 3 feet up should give you the ideal temp at their head level of about 80 at this age (head level...not ground level) take it to 4 feet up this weekend and watch them. They should be fine unless your basement is very cold.

Edited. Did not know someone else answered the question already as I was tying. Please follow above posters advice.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  10. j and bs hens

j and bs hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2012
    Vancouver Island
    We have 2.5 week old chicks, and we only have the light on once a day at dusk, and only for half hour or so. BUT, they are in our laundry room, with the door closed. So, the heat stays in. Is there a way you can lift the light? Move it a little each day, and then start to take them outside for half hour or so when they get more feathers. It'll help them adjust. Trying to find my temp sheet.

Oh.... And when you do take them out, make sure that your chicks and your current flock are separated, yet close. They need to get used to each other before they join and get into the pecking order. (Yes, a lot of work).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by