How old does a kid need to be to enter a bird in the fair?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by gritsar, Aug 13, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Since my silkie will be hatching chicks soon, I wonder how old a child needs to be to enter a chicken at the county fair?

I was thinking of giving the GS a chick to raise for it, but DH says GS is too young? The bird would have to live with us since GS lives in town, meaning I would be responsible for alot of its care. GS could come over and help though.

The GS is 5.

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Sounds like a lovely idea, but I would wait a few years. Do you really want parents of GS there that often? [​IMG]

3. ChickenAlgebra

ChickenAlgebra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Check with your area. Here, it's 8 by Jan 1 for county, 12 by Jan 1 for state.

4. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:We had 4 and 5 yr olds showing at the county fair last year but actual ABA APA sponsored events should be much different.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Thanks y'all. Ranchy, they are going to be here anyways. Might as well give the child something to do besides sit in front of the boob tube.

6. ChickenAlgebra

ChickenAlgebra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Oh, where we moved from, they had Clover Kids. They start young, but we never signed our little kids up for that. For 4-H, 8 is were they really got what was going on. Open class didn't have an age to show.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by