How Old Does A ROO Have To Be To Fertilize?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by can you hear me now?, Mar 25, 2009.

1. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    I am sure this exact question has been asked before. I have always had roos from somebody that I bought them from. They have always been grown. This year is the first time I want to hatch eggs with roos that I have raised on my own. All my girls are laying, and are about 6 month old. My roos are the same age and crowing already. I would like to get started on hatching eggs but I am not sure if the roos are ready to do their thing. They have been jumping on the girls and look like that is what they are doing but I have read here that they start practicing that early, just want to make sure I am not putting my girls through unnecessary stress.

2. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    well if you're not sure just crack and egg and you will see if its fertil [​IMG]

3. purecountrychicken

purecountrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    Gray Court, SC
    Hey good question,,I was wondering the same thing. Lets see what others say.

4. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

My Silkie Roo is the same age as my pullets, and while they started laying at 6 to 7 months, the Roo is going on 12 and is just recently becoming fertile. The sperm was clear up until February.

5. can you hear me now?

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Well that is the plan for seeing if they are fertile yet. But I am breeding specific breeds and have to seperate them to the breeding pen. Is there a quality I should look for other than a rooster crowing to know if he is old enough to breed? I guess that would be a better question.

6. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    had eggs hatch off a 5 month old, all depends on the individual i guess...

7. gapeachy

gapeachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Rome Ga
    I heard when he crows he is fertile

8. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Thats probably an old wives tale..... that obviously can't be true, becasue I have a three month old splash cockeral crowing already.... THREE MONTHS!

9. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    I am still not clear why you would not separate into your breeding pens let them breed for a few days and check some eggs. YOu will need to do that anyway as there is a possibilty that a rooster will never be fertile or has low fertility.

I think most breeders will tell you that mostly they put em in there and see what gives. I guess you could collect your roosters and have the sperm tested but seems like the other solution might be an easier one.

One might ask. At what age do most breeders expect their roosters to be fertile?

My sense is that it is around 8 months but think it varies a lot.

Hope this helps

10. can you hear me now?

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Yes it does and thank you very much. Next time I will be sure to choose my question's wording a little better now that I know the difference. I am not a breeder yet, more like a novice but working on getting to being a breeder for my area and still learning quite a lot from things i do and do not do. Any advise is acceptable and I appreciate anything that I am given.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by