How Old Does a Rooster have to Be Before He Stops Breeding?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cocopop, Oct 3, 2013.

1. cocopop

cocopop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2013
    California
    I have a rooster that is about a year and a half old and I put a hen in and it mounted her. Then I decided to switch her out with two different hens and took the first one out. It has been four days and I haven't seen him mount any of the two hens yet. Is the roosters monogamous or is he too old to mate? Oh I forgot to mention that the hen fought with the rooster a little for the first minute. Then she gave in and now they get along. They roost together and eat together. He sometimes dances around them but never seen him mount. Does this mean they are not mating. Does it time for him to get use to them. I thought rooster mate more than three times a day and can handle 5 hens. I only have two hens with mine. Please Advise?

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    rooster like any other male, long as they can get a leg up...... they will pick a favorite that they will mate with more often than the others but my guess would be he is doing his duty when ur not looking.

1 person likes this.
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I've had 4 and 5 year old roosters still active. Your bird is no way too old to mate. Just cause you don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I hardly ever see my birds mate, but every single egg is fertile. Your rooster could easily keep 10 hens fertile.

4. cocopop

Jul 12, 2013
    California
    Thanks for the advise and sharing your experiences and knowledge. I can't jump to conclusions and replace my best rooster.

5. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    When in doubt check to crack open an egg to see if the egg is fertile.

6. cocopop

Jul 12, 2013
    California
    Den in Peen,
    Would I have to wait 5 days of incubation to see if it is fertile?

7. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    The quickest way is to open one and look for the white donut on the yoke. If you put, fertile egg pictures, in the search box a couple of threads with good pictures come up.

8. cocopop

Jul 12, 2013
    California
    Thanks

9. luvchickies13

luvchickies13 New Egg

Jul 21, 2013
    Out of curiousity, would you know how early a rooster, esp. of a "Silkie" variety, could breed? I only ask because I wish not to eat baby chicks, and am looking to sell him. But in the meantime, not sure how to deal with the issue....
    PLEASE RSVP!!! (Respond please, and asap, PLEASE)

10. cocopop

Jul 12, 2013
    California
    some can start as early as 6 to 7 months

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by