How old does a Silkie have to be before she becomes broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DKrueger4, Mar 11, 2013.

1. DKrueger4

DKrueger4 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2012
    Michigan
    How old?

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    I have had silkies become broody at 5 months - even before laying the first egg!!! Gotta love those little incubators. I "broke" her broody though....She needed to concentrate on growing up some first [​IMG]

3. DKrueger4

Jul 11, 2012
    Michigan
    I just bought a 7 month old. She lays a little pink egg every other day. Do you think I should let her brood?

4. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Oh smile [​IMG] if she's still laying eggs and doesn't seem to be broody, ie stay on the egg all day and get all ruffled up when you move her, she's not broody yet. I try to discourage broody if it's too cold or if I feel that the pullet is young but that's just me. Sometime a silkie will just stay broody, even if no eggs uner her.

At any rate, when our silkies go broody, I always lift them off the nest 2 to 3 times a day for them to get up and eat/drink/walk...... Enjoy your silkie, I know you will! Have a blessed day.

5. DKrueger4

Jul 11, 2012
    Michigan
    Thank you very much for your reply. Do you have a way to introduce my Silkie into my flock of standards? Some of the roosters came over and gave her a small peck. But, when the barred rock hen came over and was eating next to her, My Silkie attacked her! [​IMG]Also, at 7 mos old, is she full grown?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by