1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How old does the rooster need to be?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mayberry Chicken Shack, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Mayberry Chicken Shack

Mayberry Chicken Shack Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2010
    Mt. Airy, N.C.
    I was wondering how old a rooster needs to be to fertilize the hens ?

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Depends on the rooster. Six months is an average, folks here have four month roos doing the deed, some slower maturing breeds--brahmas, cochins, etc don't get going until 8 months or so. You'll know when puberty hits--he'll start crowing, and all those pretty feathers start growing. And when he starts mating the hens, you can pretty much bet the eggs are fertile.

3. chickenkeeper12

chickenkeeper12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    Connecticut
    Does anyone have a silkie roo and if so when did he start getting it done. I really want to breed my silkies but I don't know when they are going to be able to reproduce.

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    My guy is pretty fluffy and took a long time to mature. He didn't even start trying to mount or crow until about 8 months. He's almost 10 months now and has finally figured out how to get it done (most of the time, sometimes he still gets on and slips right off the other side :lau ).
    Nikki

5. chickenkeeper12

Nov 25, 2012
    Connecticut
    Thanks Nikki. When we got our chicks they were 4 weeks and we have had them for 13 weeks so that makes them 17 weeks and he is already crowing pretty well. He crows around 10 times a morning until 8 and then stops until the next morning. Also what color is he.

6. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    What color is my guy? He's blue :) How about yours? Mr. Wu is due to be a daddy for the first time on the 30th, can't wait to see what his peepers look like!!!
    Nikki

7. chickenkeeper12

Nov 25, 2012
    Connecticut
    Mine is white and his name is frosty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by