1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How old for a treat

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by soldierinchrist, Oct 4, 2011.

1. soldierinchrist

soldierinchrist Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2011
    I have 27 new chicks that are almost 2 weeks old and would like to know at what age can I start giving them a treat ever now and then. I also have 2 specials that were sent with my 25 Orp. hens that I hope to post picks of to try and figure out what they are.

God bless everyon here

2. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    I've been giving my chicks small amounts of treats every day since they were about 4 days old. I also offer free choice chick grit. They seem to be thriving and ever growing. They are now 2 weeks old and nicely feathering in. I have had no issues of pasty butt, impacted crop or any other digestive problem. Their poops are normal and frequent. I have to add that I also give them Apple Cider Vinegar in their water.

It's a matter of personal opinion, I think, and you'll get varying responses. You just have to do whatever you feel comfortable with. The reason I give them treats (in the form of greens, mealworms, yogurt etc) is that they would be eating that with momma hen if they had been brooded with a hen, so I figured it wouldn't hurt them if it was done in small amounts. I also find that it keeps them as well as me very entertained. But a little bit goes a looong way with chicks this tiny.

3. tritty74

tritty74 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2011
    Wisconsin
    s long as they have acces to grit all should be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by