How old for first "outing"?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jdoane, Aug 7, 2013.

1. jdoane

jdoane Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    We just received our 4 new chicks yesterday. They are a Barred Rock, a Buff Orpington, a Black Australorp, and a golden sex linked. They seem to being doing great - eating, drinking, pooping, sleeping, running around. Just wondering when it would be appropriate to take them out of the brooder for a short time to explore in the grass - or even if that's an ok thing to do.

Thanks for the info - we are total newbies!

[​IMG]

Jennifer

2. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    As long as your weather is good then you could take them out now! A mama hen wouldn't wait

1 person likes this.
  3. jdoane

jdoane Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    Wow that was fun!!!! Took each of my 4 chicks out for a little grass play time. Made some of their personalities more obvious. My two chicks who are bossy and nosy in the brooder are shy and cautious outside. My mellow one is mellow everywhere! And my quiet one is bold and daring outside! :)

4. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Fun!! Glad they all (and you) enjoyed your time!

5. pilgie

pilgie Out Of The Brooder

Thanks for asking that question because I just got three barred rocks today! So exciting!! I feel like a new mom all over again!
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. RMHiggins

RMHiggins Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2013
    Sounds fun! I can't wait for my movable outdoor coop to be ready so I can let mine out for extended periods.

7. chickadee32

chickadee32 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2014
    Granite Falls Nc
    [​IMG]

My guys and gals had their first outing today for 20 mins. They are definitely spoiled 3 week olds.:D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by