How old for gender identity?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Morglez, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Morglez

Morglez Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2016
    Central Florida
    I have a little 6 week old baby, and I am excited to find out if our baby is a he or a she. I have pictures that I can attach, but I don't know if he/she is old enough to tell yet. But, here they are:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance for any comments!
    :)

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I’m having real problems with that one. At six weeks I don’t see any wattles and the comb looks really pale. The legs look a little heavy though. That’s mixed signals.

Often by five weeks certain things start to show up but a lot of chicks are hard to distinguish between male and female. Sometimes it’s easy, no doubt at all, even before five weeks. Sometimes I have to wait one or two months longer.

If I absolutely had to guess I’d go male, mainly because of the heavy legs, but I have a pretty low confidence level in that.

3. Morglez

Mar 4, 2016
    Central Florida

I was thinking the same thing about the legs. But, as having babies is a completely new thing to me, I sure wasn't going to make a guess based on that, lol. I'm kind of hoping for a male, since our roo (this baby's daddy) was killed recently. But, I will be happy either way. Thank you!

4. Cel45

Cel45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    I can't tell on my phone if the bird is red and white or red and gray. which is it? If red ad white, I am thinking red sexlink and then definitely a pullet.
    Edit: Look on the computer she looks like a red sexlink pullet to me. Do you have any info on the bird? Did yo buy her or did she hatch from your birds, etc.?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    That’s a good point. I never thought of that. Do you know what breed and color the mother and father were? We need to know which parent was which color.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like pullet to me. Could be a Red Sex-link, depending on parents.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm thinking pullet.

If the bird in the OP's avatar is the father, the chick is not a sex link. But it still looks feminine to me.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Just don't know [​IMG] I'll have to sleep on it - sorry

9. summerb123

summerb123 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2016
    Mississippi
    looks pullet right now

10. Morglez

Mar 4, 2016
    Central Florida
    Yes, the roo in my avatar is the father. The mother is either my RI White, or my RIR. Not sure which... he favored both, lol.

Thank you for all the replies, my gut instinct was telling me a pullet. But as I said, I am new to this, so my instinct is all I was going by, haha!

Thank you again!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by