How old for scrambled eggs? and yogurt!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by JenniferJoIN, Dec 7, 2007.

1. JenniferJoIN

JenniferJoIN Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Do you guys wait until your chickens are laying before giving them scrambled eggs? Or can it be a 13-week old chicken treat too?

And with yogurt, does the flavored yogurt work too, or is plain best?

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Hi, I've been giving mine yogurt since they were 5 days old, just a bit on my finger, now they get more. I give them sugarfree yogurt-vanilla. I think you can use any yogurt.

3. JenniferJoIN

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    So yogurt is a go, what about the scrambled eggs?

4. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    scrambled, hard boiled, or God forgive you if you drop an egg, yup even raw. they will love them.

5. SandraChick

SandraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Yup...they can have both very early on...The reason for plain yogurt is mostly so they don't get it too sweet or get all the extra color and other preservatives!

Grape flavoring can give some birds seizures...so I stay away from anything grape flavored for any of my birds.

Sandra

6. JenniferJoIN

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Great! Thanks everyone.

7. SillyChick

SillyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2007
    Any yogurt is a favorite of chickens! But I heard plain is a little better.

For eggs; anyway it's prepared! But be very careful with raw. They will develop egg-eating habits and become nasty little egg-eaters in your coop! Not good! [​IMG]

8. tidlet

tidlet New Egg

Nov 13, 2007
    Hillsboro Mo.
    does it matter if the yogurt is expired? I throw it away, but I guess I wont do that anymore if its ok to give to the chickens... wow I sure learn alot from this website.
    Yesterday it was cold and yukky outside and they ate the sunflower seeds I threw out right away this time. Other times they didnt seem too interested.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by