How old for vaccination?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bobby d, Oct 29, 2010.

1. bobby d

bobby d Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Texas
    How old is too old for vaccinations on baby chicks? We just purchased some chicks that were born on the 25th and I heard that you have to vaccinate at a day old is this true? Also if we still can vaccinate what do we buy? [​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Vaccination for what? For Marek's yours are too old; this is what hatcheries usually vaccinate for. I know there are vaccinations available for cocci and fowl pox. I don't know anything about them.

3. ncarper

ncarper Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2009
    South Central Oklahoma
    What do you want to vaccinate for and why?

4. bobby d

bobby d Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Texas
    Well that is one reason I'm asking. I know that hatcheries vaccinate but didn't know if I should. None of the other chickens that we have bought were vaccinated and knowing that some illnesses are going around right now it got me wondering. I feed all my chicks medicated feed and never had problems with cocci (knock on wood) and we'd rather them go thru fowl pox to get immune to it. So I guess the way it looks there's nothing to really worry about then!?! Just keep doing what we've been doing. Thanks for the reply's.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I think I understand how you feel. I'm afraid the bottom line is, there is no vaccine from the biggies, the respiratory diseases and such. That's why you hear quarantine stressed on here. And even it is not perfect; a new flock can be a carrier and have no symptoms for months, but still infect the old flock. Just living on soil is like a cocci vaccine, as near as I can tell; they get exposed over time in small amounts and develop at least some natural immunity; all the amprolium does is keep the cocci numbers in check so they don't get overwhelmed while this is happening.

6. HorizonSon

HorizonSon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Pacific NW
    I would never vaccinate anything I loved or cared about; period. In fact, I wouldn't even wish it on my enemies. You might want to research that dark art a bit!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by