How old is a chicken/cockerel when it dies naturally?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ChurpyChicken, Oct 29, 2009.

1. ChurpyChicken

ChurpyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2009
    Buxton/Leek
    Hi Everyone [​IMG]

I've had my hens for 2years now and recently 2 have died. One minute they was fine the next they was dead- no injuries, marks etc etc.

One was a warren and the other was a brown leghorn

What age do hens die?

Also since the weather has gone really cold my Minorcan cockerel really isn't looking well. He isn't crowing at all hasn't for last 3 days, eyes don't look as bright.

Brought him in a few times check he was eating and drinking and he is.

Put him in-between his birds last night and he still didn't crow or seem overly himself today.

Is this old age or does he have an illness?

2. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

as far as I know old age is closer to a decade than a couple of years.

please check the living ones over really well for sores, mites or lice
    then check again after they go to roost tonight for the same, use a flashlight

I hope whatever it is, you'll find it.

3. ChurpyChicken

Sep 19, 2009
    Buxton/Leek
    They was sprayed for mites and lice approximately 3 weeks ago and was wormed at the same time.

Checked them over really well yesterday, no signs of any sores/fleas/mites/marks.

They are cleaned out every 2 weeks, always have fresh water, laying pellets, corn and wheat.

Its really puzzling [​IMG]

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Are they
    Rattle in the chest while breathing. (Sometimes the rattle doesn't show up until the birds are on the roost in the evening, and that is the best time to check for this condition.)
    Bubbles in the eye.
    Runny nose.
    Coughing or sneezing.

OR

Birds continually yawning, or gasping for air.
    Constant shaking of the head.

What where they wormed with?

Chris

5. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    "Birds continually yawning, or gasping for air.
    Constant shaking of the head. "

what does this indicate?

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:In some cases Gapeworm (Syngamus Trachea).

From ultimate fowl wiki
    The gapeworm (Syngamus trachea) is a parasitic nematode worm of the family Syngamidae, that lives in the trachea of birds and causes gapes in domestic fowl. Infection may occur directly by the ingestion of infective eggs or larvae; however, severe field infection is associated with ingestion of transport hosts such as earthworms, snails, slugs, and arthropods.

Chris

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  7. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    It's an impossible question to answer. It's like saying how old is a person when they die naturally. A person born with a serious heart defect may die in days. Another person may live 100 years. I assume that by die naturally you mean by other than accident or injury. All other deaths are natural.

8. ChurpyChicken

Sep 19, 2009
    Buxton/Leek
    Sorry been to walk the dogs.
    The cockerel is not crowing makes a weird noise like it has a sore throat, quite high pitched.
    Eyes are like cloudy suppose you could say bubbley. His nose is a little runny. No sneezing/coughing as such, he is spending most his time in a corner with his head under his chest.
    They was all wormed with vermex from the local poultry shop. Was really expensive and was told it was the best.

9. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

You have a sickness..

you should try the Emergencies Disease & Cures forum here on BYC and start with what you just posted as symptoms.

10. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    Quote:Runny nose bubbly eyes are not good. I agree post in E,D and C.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by