How old is an old goat?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by SelahJ, Mar 17, 2015.

1. SelahJ

SelahJ New Egg

Mar 11, 2015
    I have never owned my own goats before (though I have been a goat sitter). I'm looking to start a herd of Nigerian Dwarf dairy goats. One place I am looking has 7 year old goats for $300-350. Is that too old to pay that much for and expect good milk production for years? And the farm I am looking says I need a buck. I know they are little and gentle, but is this a good idea for a beginner? I only have 3 acres, so if he gets too stinky, we can only get so far away. TIA!

2. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    I'd suggest passing on seven year old goats for that much. You can pay that and get much younger goats with long production lives left with excellent milking genetics.

If you want a buck, you also need a wether or a second buck to keep him company. So it actually means two extra goats. But you don't need a buck if you can get your does bred elsewhere. Some breeders offer buck service. Pimping out their boys, basically. Some only do driveway breedings, others let the does stay overnight, and some can let the bucks go to you overnight. The doe must be in standing heat in order to be bred. Meaning she is in heat, and is willing to stay still for him to do his thing.

Maybe just start with a pair of does or doelings. Ease into goat keeping, don't jump in head first! Get to know everything, like hoof trimming, feeding, etc.

3. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    From what I've read, the average life span of a Nubian is 10-15 years old (and DN average is about 12-15) so I think if you got a 7 year old, you'd have him for quite a while.

We only have 2 acres with 1 acre fenced off for our goats (not Nubians) and the 2 goats we have do fine with that.

I've enjoyed the goats we have, more than I thought I would. And now that we are getting ready to have our second set of kids, it's even more interesting.

4. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Goats do have a long lifespan. But the older a doe gets, there are higher chances of pregnancy complications and death. So if someone forks out $300 for a doe that may have a single kidding left in her productive lifespan, that is a terrible investment!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by