1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How old is my Easter egger rooster

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chicken Egg 17, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    [​IMG]
    This is Fred my Easter egger rooster I have had him for a year now and he has just showed up at my house last year and I was wondering if any one could give me an idea as to how old he is I thought he was maybe 2 years old as he is still very sexually active with his hens. All replies are welcome thanks

2. corewassen87

corewassen87 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Aging a chicken is pretty hard but I think your guess would be in the ball park [​IMG]

3. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    It's pretty hard to tell the age of an adult chicken once they reach sexual maturity, but I agree you probably are in the ball park.

There are signs that can indicate if it is younger or older.

Think back to when he showed up...was his plummage as full as it is now? Did he fill out in muscle mass since then?

Roosters often don't come into their full plummage or body weight until they are a year of age, and not into their full colors until after their first adult molt at 18 months.

Are his legs smooth without a lot of scaling? While scaly leg mite can cause rough legs in young birds, it tends to creep in with older birds as their immune system runs down a bit. Rooster spurs also continue to grow as they age. Were his little nubs when he showed up and now longer? Spur growth varies a lot with genetics, but many do not begin to grow a spur until 8 or 9 months.

Overall, younger birds simply look fuller, plumper, shinier plummage, brighter combs, crisper eyes, sleek legs.

All of that can be skewed with poor health and maintenance.

LofMc

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Flock Master Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree

5. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    He looks the same as he did when he showed up and he has had Spurs sincehe showed up and I have a younger rooster who's 6 months old and his Spurs are coming in now

6. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    And his feathers are still shiny so I know he is not old

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by