How old is rooster when it starts crowing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jencleg, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Jencleg

Jencleg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Jasper
    I have a cochin roo that is about 3 months old and a questionable silkie that is about 5 months old...somebody is learning to crow and I cannot ever catch the lil bugger in the act! Which would be a more likey to be the crower between these ages?? [​IMG]

2. kesali

kesali Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    far northern Wisconsin
    My two roos started at 8-weeks, so according to them, I would say the 3-month cochin is starting. 5-months seems like a long time to get its act together.

3. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hard to say for sure. My Araucana started at about 14wks. It took two days to catch him in the act. By that time he was real proud of himself struting around and crowing constantly. He went to a farm about 20 miles north of us... Not allowed to have Roos in the city limits (not noisy ones anyway). [​IMG]

4. smallcitychick

smallcitychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Central Washington
    I think I'd go with the cochin too. It's hard to say, but my 3 roosters (that I currently have) started at 3 months.

5. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    We have what we "think" is a rooster...others on this site have disagreed, but it hasn't shown itself to be roo or hen for sure yet, but we believe he/she is about 6 to 7 months old. No crow, no eggs. Thinking it's as confused and unsure as we are...

6. JHillgrove

JHillgrove Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    I got 3 roosters this time around. The first one started crowing at 5 month, the next at 6 months and the last one I havent even heard yet. I think if there are other bigger roosters around the younger ones are nervous to do it.

7. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Quote:Well, our 6 or 7 month old has no other roos around, and there's been no crowing or mating or any other gender specific behavior [​IMG]

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I've had them start as early as 4 weeks or as late as 8 months. It just depends on the bird. But if your cochin is for sure a boy I'd put my money on that one being the crower [​IMG]

9. Jencleg

Jencleg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Jasper
    [​IMG] Thanks yall! I am trying to catch him in the act...it is the sweetest...saddest sound I have ever heard!

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I've had more than one start at less than a week old, right in the brooder. The latest was 18 weeks old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by