1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How old is she? Found in blizzard.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by notsooldmcdonald, Mar 4, 2009.

1. notsooldmcdonald

notsooldmcdonald Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Lempster, NH
    Hi All-

My husband and I "rescued" this girl in a blizzard that hit our area last week. I'm curious as to how old she might be (I wonder occaisionally if she'll ever lay). What do you think? She's actually come a long way since we found her. Originally her beak, legs, and a circle around her eye were _white_. What do you think? She's super sweet.
    [​IMG]

-Christian

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  2. first time farmer

first time farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Hey thats a really cool that you rescued her. Oh and glad to see more Nh people on here!

3. chickn

chickn Away for a bit

Apr 15, 2008
    New Hampshire
    she looks dark like a rir, i dont think she looks old,?

nh, me too

4. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Young pullet I'd say. Not very old.

5. needtohatch

needtohatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Hart Co
    Agree looks like a young RIR.

6. notsooldmcdonald

notsooldmcdonald Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Lempster, NH
    I was thinking she might not be that old as her wattles and comb aren't that developed. Yeah, it was a weird thing; I got a call from a colleague who was on vacation in Florida. Her daughter-in-law-to-be caller _her_ and said they had a random chicken in their yard. None of their neighbors have chickens (they've continued to ask around too) and she was hiding under their car.

Her beak, legs, and a very defined ring around her eye were almost completely white. She now has some frostbite-like discoloring on the very tips of her toes, but seems to be doing ok. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for her!

-C

7. Marco

Marco New Egg

Mar 4, 2009
    Sarasota
    I agree, RIR. However, if her legs and beak are as pale as they seem, and not bright yellow, then she has probably gone through at least one laying season.

8. Marco

Marco New Egg

Mar 4, 2009
    Sarasota
    PS. I'm sure she appreciates the shelter and hospitality!

9. jlmann

jlmann Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Yep definately a RIR and with her comb so pale it could be a while before she lays any eggs. She may have just molted . Keep an eye on her comb it will turn to a brighter red and appear thicker when she is ready to lay. She still isn't a very old bird I'd say maybe a year to 18 months. Very kind of you to take her in!

10. karanleaf

karanleaf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    Glenwood, Missouri
    She is a very nice looking RIR, I agree she is young and has maybe gone through 1 egg laying cycle. I have 1 that was found last summer that looks a lot like her. They are very sweet [​IMG] Good luck with her she is lucky you have taken her in [​IMG]

[​IMG] Karan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by