How old is this Red Star?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KensingtonHens, Dec 16, 2010.

1. KensingtonHens

KensingtonHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2010
    SoCal
    [​IMG]

Can anyone give me their best guess as to the age of this RS chicken? Just curious

Thanks,

2. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

I'm going to guess a little more than a year, but are you positive that that's a Red Star? I really think that it's a New Hampshire Red.

3. KensingtonHens

Nov 30, 2010
    SoCal
    Wow. thanks for the insight. I just am trying to figure out how old my RS is. I was told she was 20 weeks 2 weeks ago, but she doesn't look like any of the red stars I've seen online for that age. The bird in the pic is not mine. But looks very much like her. Being so new to this is hard!! The gal I bought the hens from told me one was something she's not so now I'm suspicious about both of them.

[​IMG]

This is her. But some of her top knot is not there now. ?? Maybe still just settling in.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  4. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

She looks a bit younger in this picture, but definitely older than 22 weeks!

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    IDK, there's not much comb, so I'd say older than 3 months or so but not more than six. I'm thinking what you were told may be right on. She's not laying yet? Her comb doesn't look like it.
    By the way, it's always WAY better to post pics of the specific bird you're asking about, not a bird who looks similar.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Your Red Star is under 1 year old, I'd say about 5-6 months old. Mine are just over a 1 year old and have well developed combs and wattles and are excellent layers.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  7. KensingtonHens

Nov 30, 2010
    SoCal
    Quote:Right!! I don't know what I was thinking!!

No, she's not laying yet, but is eating well and standing up to our 9 lb dog through the coop fence.

Thank you all the help!!

8. kano

kano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2008
    Santiago de Chile
    Quote:[​IMG]

9. Lisa Foss

Lisa Foss Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2010
    Marilla, NY
    She looks like my red stars. Mine were born May 2010. Started laying at 5 mos of age. I began feeding layer mash at 4 mos of age. No lights in coop, but they still lay everyday. Have a translucent(old shower door) door facing east, so they get 9 hrs of daylight. She should be laying any time, probably born around July.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by