How old is this silkie?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PhoenixPharm, Aug 13, 2014.

1. PhoenixPharm

PhoenixPharm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2014
    Can anyone tell how old this silkie may be? I was told he/she was a week old when I go it which would make it 5 weeks old now. The large buff/blue orph is supposed to be 7 weeks as is the black sex link but as you can see the buff/blue orph is a lot bigger s I am having trouble knowing their true ages. I would like to keep them outside full time but not sure if the silkie is big enough. It gets as low as 60 at night right now but 80+ during the day.....[​IMG]

[​IMG]

any advice?

2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Comparing a large breed buff orpington to a little silkie is like comparing apples to oranges. Your silkie will always be much smaller than the BO. The silkie appears to be getting pretty well feathered out now so I would say that it should be alright to turn her out..

3. PhoenixPharm

Jul 22, 2014
    Thanks for the reply. I was comparing the black sex link to the buff. Are buff's a lot larger because they are supposed to be the same age

4. PhoenixPharm

Jul 22, 2014
    At what age can you 100% know if it's male of female? I'm still not sure!

5. scflock

scflock Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    I used to say 8 weeks, then I have had to swap with people that I sold "hens" to. I have white, non-bearded silkies, and some of them are obvious at around 8 weeks, but if they have smaller combs it can be tricky. I stopped selling them until I was absolutely certain, and that's getting closer to 12-14 weeks. If the rooster has a more fluffy head and smallish comb, they can fool you

6. PhoenixPharm

Jul 22, 2014
    It's head keeps molting and it gets spikey for awhile then goes back to a puff ball! Guess I'll know when he/she either crows or lays eggs :)

7. scflock

scflock Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    My guess from your picture is hen, based purely on the lack of wattles, but I have been wrong many times before

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by