How old is to old for a rooster to be fertile?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by triple j farms, Apr 20, 2016.

1. triple j farms

triple j farms Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2015
    I set 17 eggs in the incubator 8 days ago and I candled them tonight. The eggs weren't fertile except 1. The eggs were saved for 7 days before incubating. I had dewormed my chickens a day or two before starting to save them. I used wazine. I know that my rooster is several years old but if he is not fertile then I would not have got the 1 fertile egg. So my question is,is there a chance that the wormer caused the infertility in the 16 other eggs? I also thought that his count may be low because of his age. So how old is too old?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It varies from rooster to rooster, breed to breed, and strain to strain. I have had roosters that remained fertile as long as they were able to tread a hen. A friend had a heavily inbred family of WCBP where most were sterile by the time they were 3 years old. I know nothing about the impact of Wazine on fertility. Dawg53 might be able to answer that.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  3. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    3-10 is the range i have heard for the end of fertility to end.

4. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    Other things to consider: (1) Is the rooster breeding the hens? and (2) Is there anything preventing him from getting good cloacal contact?

I haven't heard of Wazine affecting fertility.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by