How old is too old for Pea chicks?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by bluevtx, Sep 1, 2014.

1. bluevtx

bluevtx New Egg

Apr 5, 2011
    We got two Silver Pied this weekend. he said they are "about a month old"
    I also am looking at some Indigo birds tomorrow. I thought they were 6 weeks, but now he says they are "about 2 months old"
    I was told to get them young, so they will be more likely to stay home. How old is too old? We want to free range them.

2. new 2 pfowl

new 2 pfowl Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2012
    California
    I'm sure someone with experience will pop in here, but from what I understand, the most important factor will be keeping them in a pen for plenty of time, for them to learn where "home" is.

You have probably already considered this, but just to make sure: is your setting appropriate for free ranging? Do yo have a lot of property? Do you have close neighbors, and are they friendly? Are you near any roads? Do you have a lot of predators?
    Even if your peas learn where home is, they are extremely nosy and will wander far.

3. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Well, I have free-ranged only my first pair. Both were adults and accustomed to free-ranging at a zoo which is probably why they ran away! I would say the birds you have are still pretty young. While you keep them penned get them to be very friendly and when you feed them say something like "food time" or say some key word or phrase so that when they free-range they will come running when you say that. That is something I always forget to do is teach my peas a key word!

Anyways, here is a good article that should be helpful although I will say I don't agree with the wing clipping: http://www.hopkinslivestock.com/Training Peafowl to Stay at Home.htm

The beginning of that article does say that he likes to start with yearling peafowl, so yours are certainly not too old!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  4. bluevtx

bluevtx New Egg

Apr 5, 2011
    We have 4 acres. Our nearest neighbors are 1/4 mile away. My wife is always here, and always spoiling the herd.

5. new 2 pfowl

new 2 pfowl Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2012
    California
    Spoiling is good! [​IMG]
    Your peas will definitely go to the neighbor's house, so hopefully they are friendly and pro-pea...

6. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    At least your wife is always around to keep an eye on the birds if they do decide to wander too far.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by