How old is too old?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by 2dancingrats, May 29, 2010.

1. 2dancingrats

2dancingrats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    Bay City, Michigan
    My one year old Auracana roo has been voted out of the hen-house. Would like to invite him to dinner, but want to if he wil be too tough to eat. This is one mean womanizing roo but the end of his life should have some meaning.

2. uhuh555

uhuh555 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2009
    Delton
    We process our layers when they get 4-5 years old. Letting them age for 4-5 days bathing in lemon juice with kosher salt (1 cup per gallon of juice) in the refrigerator. Then off to freezer camp or steamer.

3. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

At one year he will be fine. He won`t be as tender as the store bought stuff that is butchered at about 2 mos, but he`ll be great. Just cook him a little longer..........Pop

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer Premium Member

May 11, 2010
    A pressure cooker works wonders on tough young or old roosters!

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    You might be interested in this link.

Cooking Heritage Chickens
    http://www.albc-usa.org/documents/cookingwheritagechicken.pdf

The secret to cooking an older chicken is to cook it long and slow. The water should simmer, not boil. Crock pot recipes are great. With older chickens we usually make chicken broth. Cook the chicken including neck, back, and feet in plenty of water (think 3 to 4 pints, make sure the parts are covered.) with whatever veggies (celery, carrots, and onions as a minimum) and herbs you want for a long time at a slow simmer for maybe three to four hours. Skim the fat off the liquid and you have some fabulous chicken broth. Then pick the meat off the bones and make chicken tacos, chicken salad, chicken and pasta, many other possible uses for the meat.

6. u8sushi

u8sushi Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2010
    bath
  7. ElioraImmanuel

ElioraImmanuel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    Ooooh, now I'm hungry![​IMG]

8. 2dancingrats

2dancingrats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    Bay City, Michigan
    Thank you everyone for alll your replies. I'm definitely going to have someone else "do the deed", sure wish I could invite all of you to join us for supper!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by