How old is you DIY chicken coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Dmontgomery, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Dmontgomery

Dmontgomery Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Longville, La
    I'm not talking store bought or repurposed coops, if you built your own coop from scratch, how old is it?
    Our first chicken enclosure consisted of 2 old coops handed down from a nephew. One afternoon I strung some wire around them to make what I thought was a chicken yard/run. If you listened closely at night you could actually hear the predators laugh and say "why did you even bother". Then I found BYC!
    We built the 2nd coop in July 2014. Not more than a month would ever go by before I was modifying the coop in some way. I was either rearranging, adding, or taking out something on a regular basis. I would see something on BYC and think, "let's try that". The flock wasn't getting bigger, I was just trying to make it better for the chickens or easier on me.
    Fast forward to March 2016 and my wife discovered chicken math. Rather than enlarge the existing coop, we build a new one. The coop area went from 80 sq ft to 256 sq ft. I'm hoping I won't be changing stuff as often, but I won't be surprised if I do.
    Do y'all go through this constant modification thing or am I just as crazy as everybody says?

2. Yvonne1

Yvonne1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2016
    Western PA
    May of this year. Sketched out on paper & fixed it as we went along. BYC was a wonderful reference tool! All the way through including what breeds to look into!
    [​IMG]

This was before we added a metal roof to drain off the rain/snow. Tarp was temp. We also now have a cover over the run. Welded rebar to the posts and added more poultry fence. I barely have to squat to move around under it. (thinkin I need updated pics!)

This is the tractor for yard fun! Still working on the wheels and handles.

[​IMG]

3. TerryH

TerryH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2016
    NW Arkansas
    My Coop
    I haven't changed a thing on mine since I finished it.....like 15 minutes ago. :lau

4. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    We built a duck house in 2012. The following year we built the same concept, but raised for the chickens.
    This year we combined the duck and chicken house.
    So the bottom half is a 2012 model and the upper half is a 2013 model. The roof is a 2016 model - DH replaced it after a slight run in with a pine tree last year - we patched after they dropped the tree (into the chicken house), but it is not fully fixed.

Other than combining the 2 houses, we haven't changed anything.

5. Cheep N Peep

Cheep N Peep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh, no, you're just plain weird.

I think constant tweaking is part of having a coop and being attune to your flock's needs. Do they need more ventilation? I'm late out, again- should I add an automatic pop door? Their roosting on the nest boxes, I can't lower them, so can I add a slide-off lid?
    I started collecting various wood well before I started actually building my coop, which broke ground early spring 2015, after we got the chicks near Easter, when everything was mud. Blech. I'm still changing things up every now and again, although the coop's nest boxes or roosts can't be moved around, so the changes are small. The feeder is placed here and the waterer is moved outside, or a removable shelf installed. I think at some point there really are no more changes to be made, unless you change the flock. (New chickens! Lets make an integration safe room under the poop board!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by