How old is your oldest laying hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ducksandchickens, May 17, 2018.

1. Ducksandchickens

Ducksandchickens Overrun With Chickens

Apr 24, 2018
    Allen county ohio
    My RIR and barred rocks are three years old and still plugging along with eggs. I’m just wondering how old your oldest hen is? (That still lays)
    Just trying to figure out the average age a hen stops laying!

Ursuline Chick and alexa009 like this.
  2. Kessel23

Kessel23 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 6, 2018
    Wisconsin
    The oldest chickens I have now are around 4, I think, they might be 5, I am honestly not positive. They are still laying. The oldest hen I have had was a 10 year old RIR, she laid her last egg when she was 7 and then became a nasty egg eater and would teach the other birds to break open and eat eggs. She was very smart, she was older than me at the time and I would often leave the coop door open and forget to shut it at night, when the door was left open coyotes would come in and kill tons of birds, the hen realized this and soon started sleeping in the barn whenever the door was left open. She dropped dead when she was 10, I was pretty upset that the only chicken that was older than me died but at least the egg eating stopped.

My grandpa has some hens that are 13 years old, I am not sure when they stopped laying or if they stopped but I assume they could not still be going at this age.

Ducksandchickens likes this.
  3. Ursuline Chick

Ursuline Chick Flock Master

Jul 21, 2017
    We have an EE that is at least 7 years old (we got her as an adult) She has been laying on and off for the past few years. Last year she did not lay but a few eggs and we thought she had just become a pet. Well Christmas day she laid a bright blue egg, which we thought was a sweet gift, except she has continued to lay at least 2 or 3 eggs a week since. It has been almost 5 months that she continues to lay every couple of days a week. Don't know when it will stop, her eggs are getting lighter in color, but comb remains pretty red. I guess it just depends on the hen!! :confused:

4. alexa009

alexa009 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    My red sex link is a 1.5 years and is a very good layer and my buff orpington and barred rocks are 2 years old and lay almost everyday. I have had chickens laying at 4 years though.

5. Broody Bist

Broody Bist Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2018
    My last RIR girl is well over 5 years old (lost count lol) and still lays a large brown egg every day. She's the oldest hen we have and the bossiest.

alexa009 and Ducksandchickens like this.
  6. Ducksandchickens

Ducksandchickens Overrun With Chickens

Apr 24, 2018
    Allen county ohio
    Sounds like my RIR ! She thinks she is the boss but I’ve taught them that I’m the leader of the flock!

alexa009 and Broody Bist like this.
  7. Broody Bist

Broody Bist Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2018
    Susie still tries to be the boss even though her son is head of the flock now :lol:(We let one of our broodies hatch one of Susie's eggs, since she's so old and we wanted a descendant from her. Turns out he was a roo!! lol)

8. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2014
    Upstate NY
    My oldest hen, an EE mixed breed, is 4 years old and lays @ least 5 eggs a week. Her sister from the same clutch rarely lays.....

9. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Six years old and lays better than most of the young ones

10. Ursuline Chick

Ursuline Chick Flock Master

Jul 21, 2017
    @Ducksandchickens This is turning out to be a fun thread, thank you for starting it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by