how old should chick be to go with adult flock?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ducklove334, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    Our momma hen and her single baby have been living in the feed room, where she layed the eggs for 9 days now (well, 9 days for the baby, over a month for momma!).. they've been out (in a dog kennel) once or twice for a few hours, and momma shows an uncontollable protective urge with the baby (when not pecking him in the head, or kicking him across the room, or laying on him) like I said he's 9 days old today and not very big, though he does have wing feathers and a bit of tail feathers, when he's two weeks old I plan to put him and his mom in the dog kennel wich i moved to beside the big chicken pen fence...so they can see each other without getting to one another.

how long should I leave them in the kennel before moving them both back to the other chickens??

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    If the mother hen is no longer protecting her baby chick from other things, the chick should be fairly close in size to the adult birds before being left alone with them, otherwise it'll get preatty beat up. If she's still protecting it (I couldn't tell if you meant that she's protecting her eggs from the chick or protecting her chick from the world), then they could go in now.

3. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    I meant she protects the baby from everything, lol sorry I just meant she throws herself at anything that gets too close and doesn't care what she claws [​IMG]

except us ofcourse.

when I said she laied eggs I meant that thats where she laid her eggs, then the baby hatched, and he(she, I dunno) is 9 days old now.

I'm gonna wait awhile now though, just got home to find out we have 12 more pullets [​IMG], don't ask...fiances grandfather got them. I don't complain anymore...

so i am gonna wait til they get the NEW pecking order settled, then try it.

so theres no need for the dog kennel then right?, I can put it away?? YAAAAYYY

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Yeah, they shoudl be fine, especially since she's so protective of the baby.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by