How old should chicks be before they can be removed from a brooder?

dulce

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 7, 2015
Hemet CA
I have 1 week old chicks. They are in a 95 degree environment and I plan to decrease the temp. by 5 degrees each week.
But how old do they need to be before they don't need to be in the temperature controlled environment anymore?

At six weeks, they should be fully feathered. Use that as your guideline, feathers instead of age. I have always given the chicks plenty of space to get away from the light should they want to and you'd be surprised at how soon they will if given the chance. It is just good to have it where they can go back to it as well at their own pace until they are fully feathered.

I actually like to brood outside with a heat lamp (no bedding, actual ground to prevent fires) and I noticed that if you let the chicks choose, they tend to feather out quicker and are more hardy as adults.

At six weeks, they should be fully feathered.  Use that as your guideline, feathers instead of age.  I have always given the chicks plenty of space to get away from the light should they want to and you'd be surprised at how soon they will if given the chance.  It is just good to have it where they can go back to it as well at their own pace until they are fully feathered.

I actually like to brood outside with a heat lamp (no bedding, actual ground to prevent fires) and I noticed that if you let the chicks choose, they tend to feather out quicker and are more hardy as adults.  
Thank you for your post. I tried the taking the heat source away at about 3 weeks and they are now about 4 1/2 weeks and are feathered except their necks. They are moving outside this weekend after we have our 4 days of winter.

Make sure that the necks are fully feathered and watch how they react when they are no longer have the heat.  If they all pile up together, they are too cold.  
Sorry should have said they are in the spare room of our house. Temperature in there around 70, sometimes warmer like today because it was warm outside. they only sleep together. Most of the time they are figuring out who is top dog

Back
Top Bottom