how old should my ducks be?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by secretquail, Jul 23, 2010.

1. secretquail

secretquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Chapel Hill
    I'm incubating 17 appleyard ducks. I plan on keeping a few, and processing the rest. What is the ideal age to process the ducks? These are large meat ducks.

2. rinmpit

rinmpit Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2010
    i used to have ducks, very easy to keep alive as chicks. ducks are usualy full grown around 3 to 4 months, so id butcher them at 4 months right when there nice and plump:cool:

3. rinmpit

rinmpit Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2010
    plus ull know when there full grown

4. Rod W

Rod W Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2009
    Phelps, Wisconsin
    What's the trick to plucking your ducks?? I've done plenty of wild ducks but no large, tame ducks!! Thank You, ROD

5. Rod W

Rod W Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2009
    Phelps, Wisconsin
    What's the trick to plucking your ducks?? I've done plenty of wild ducks but no large, tame ducks!! Thank You, ROD

6. jodief100

jodief100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    N Kentucky/Cincinnati
    I have no personal experience with ducks but Kentucky State has a processing facility that you can process birds yourself for resale. The man who runs it told me that under 8 weeks (I think) and they are easy to process. Over 8 weeks and it is much more difficult. Considering he has to schedule everyone he keeps good track of how long things take.

I am going off memory of a conversation 3 months ago. I can email to confirm if you wish.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  7. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    7 weeks - 12 weeks or 18 weeks if plucking. Older or when molting it is easier to skin them. I process my Muscovy males at 12 weeks and females at 17 weeks and I skin them. I may try plucking but I really don't like plucking anything around here. Stinky.

Check out Metzerfarms.com processing waterfowl section for more information about it.

8. Rod W

Rod W Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2009
    Phelps, Wisconsin
    Buttercup, Thanks for the info on Metzer Farms, quite informative!!! ROD

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by