1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How Old Should They Be?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hobobrando, Apr 21, 2008.

1. hobobrando

hobobrando Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Vermont
    How old should my chicks be before I can take them outside for the first time? And how old before they can get treats?

2. Drea_Dee

Drea_Dee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2008
    My chicks were only a couple days old when I got them and I let them go outside when they were about a week old.. but ofcourse I made sure the weather was really nice and I sat out there with them so they could be extra supervised!! I think its a good bonding experience..plus when I'd walk around the garden they'd follow me they are now a month old and still do.. and as far as treats go I don't think it really matters too much!! but maybe someone can give you a better idea since I'm still kind of a beginner [​IMG] but all my chicks are happy and healthy so I guess I did something right lol

3. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    i wouldnt take them outside till they a week old.an if you have chick grit for them you can give emm small amounts of treats at 7 to 10 days old.

4. hobobrando

hobobrando Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Vermont
    Thanks they are 5 days old so I will wait till Wendsday. As for the treats will any worm I dig up be fine for them or do I need to get them from the pet store?

5. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    dugg up worms will be good for them to eat.

6. fowlplay

fowlplay Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2008
    Townsend
    Is it safe to take week old chicks out without confinement?
    I would be worried they'd take off and I'd lose them????

7. 31665

31665 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2008
    Chardon Ohio
    Ya How do you keep 20 chicks in 1 place?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by