How old??? (Special treats)

Momma_Cluck

Songster
11 Years
Jun 11, 2008
N. West Michigan
A quick question on how old chicks should be bfore giving them Yogurt or cooked oatmeal....??

Our newbies are only 2 weeks old (yet almost as big as our 7 week banties! LOL!) when is it ok to start these kind of treats... the yogurt is supposed to be beneficial to their digestion.... but is this too soon???

Thank You!!!
wink.png

I think a little yogurt may be ok, they can eat that easily. Its the bigger stuff they can't get down their throat. But make sure they are still getting plenty of their baby chick food still. Mine are 3 weeks and I do put a little of other stuff out there and they eat what they are able to. They are free ranging a little now under supervision and they are able to eat bugs now too. I have given them scratch a couple times and they eat the smaller stuff.

I start treats when mine are 4wks. Don't forget to add a little grit to help them digest the new treats. I always start with yogurt mixed with chopped boiled eggs or scrambled eggs. I just love the way the stand clear of it until one of them finally decides to be brave and check it out. Then the party starts and they all attack it!!

Back
Top Bottom