How old til introducing new ducklings??

ktduck

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 10, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Hi all,
Thanks for all the advice I've received in regArds to my novice questions! My khaki Campbell's are 4 and a half weeks old and I would like to get them some friends. I am thinking 1 x Pekin and 1 x welsh harlequin.
What is the best age to introduce them to my khakis? I would most probably need to get the 2 newbies as ducklings and raise them, do you think the khakis would like them? Or should I wait til they Are a bit older before getting the new ducks?
The khakis will be moving out side in a week and a half,,, and although I have been waiting for this day to have a clean house again... My love for ducks is taking over!!!
Any advice would be much appreciated.

ktduck, good report!

My hesitation about a Pekin is the case in which the Pekin turns out to be an aggressive drake. That would be really tough (potentially fatal) on Khakis. If you want a lighter colored duck, how about a Buff Orpington?

The Welsh Harlequin, which I just read is descended from Khaki Campbells, would be similar in size so I would not worry so much about that.

More than half the answer to your question is up to the ducks themselves. Generally, introducktions are best made when the ducks are all the same size. And keeping them separate, but able to see and be near each other is the first step. Then supervised time together, and finally, when things seem good, removing the divider but still watching and listening for any signs of trouble for a while.

Giving treats at the same time helps, I feel.

I understand about loving duckies.

I don't know any breeders who have the buff Orpington in Brisbane, Australia. That's unfortunate about the pekin, perhaps I will wait til my ducks are older and get some adult ducks and integrate them at that stage.

Agreed, especially when it comes to adults and younglings. Last year, we did have Pekins that were just a few days younger than our KCs. Being raised together, they were fine together, but size - wise, the Pekins were quite a bit larger after just a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom