How old till can tell sex?

bemba

Songster
9 Years
Feb 5, 2010
Mary Valley QLD.
I have 2 peachicks that are about the size of a jap bantam hen, how long till I can tell the sex of them, what do you look for?? They seem to have green coming through on the neck and a few speckles on the head.

You should post of a pic of them.
wink.png

BTW Love ur peacock outfit....... very schexy LOL wonder what ur peahens would think hahaha. Gotta get some pics soon..... PS Gettin a reverse pied mature peacock tomorrow..... exciting stuff!!!!!

3 months , female will lose the barring on the back........by the way only two type of pieds....pieds, and silver pied. that one breeder in your country , thats bull about reverse pied.....and he say he has java pied , nooooo way they are spalding pieds.

Ah thanks mate, looks like 2 boys then GRRRR LOL, Well I just thought reverse pied was another way of saying heavy pied, sort of thing, the boy i'm getting is apparently 3/4 white. I have the choice of him and a white boy, but I really like the contrasting colours on the pieds. If you are referring to Peacocks Australia..... well the pied java? has indian blue wings, even though it has a green neck it is definately a hybrid. And it prob only a 7/8 cross if that.

Not sure on that I can, I thought silver pied was like a light bluish base colour with the pied markings?? Anyway I ended up getting the white boy, and a pied girl, the boy looks caramel
cause he is quite dirty, we have had ALOT of flooding here and everything is still soggy.... he'll come good..... when he molts out. So pied hen with white cock = 50% white 50% pied ?? or do they both have to be split to the others colour for that.... is white just like a black eyed clear?? meaning still a pied gene?

Silver pied always have white eye- white spots in middle of a colored eye(in the tail). White eye(it is a separate mutant gene, btw) also is the gene that often dilutes the color on hens to a silvery grey color(hence the name silver pied) and sometimes even the colors on males look slightly different. Also they tend to be way more white than color, but even a 'heavily colored' silver pied will have every tail eye strongly marked with white.

Regular pieds look just like India Blue, except for the white patches. Their colored eyes are normal, no white spot. Some regular pied can have a few eyes with a white spot, they look more like an coincidence or 'accident'. Regular white eye tend to have every eye affected in some way, even an eye that looks normal at first can show a little white if you look up real close and all way to whole eye white.

The difference can be seen on day old chicks too, silver pied chicks are totally white/cream with just one spot or a couple little dots of color behind the head and maybe one or two on the back. Regular pied chicks usually are mostly colored, with patches of white.

Thankyou Kev!! I appreciate you explaining that, I am a newbie and dont have any peafowl as yet however I have been reading, reading, reading!! learning as much as I can about peafowl with the hope of building a fantastic pen later in the year and obtaining my foundation stock.

So a normal pied with a lot of white would be a "loud" pied?? Is that right?

I dont think we have silver pied here in OZ, I have read the term "reverse pied" Im wondering if that is really just a "loud" pied or an Aussie silver pied??

I have to say what they are referring to as a reverse pied, would in all actuallity be a silver pied, havent looked at the pics though, but like Kev said, if they are mostly white, with a little color, and white eyed birds, then that's what they actually are, silver pieds.

I have to agree with Deerman too, I was shown that guys site a couple years ago and seems he swears they are pure javas, that are pied.
Like Deerman said, there is no such thing, in any country, they are either pure java, or they are spalding pieds, can't be pied and be a pure java. The three green species only come in solid body colors, no black shoulder, pied, white eye, silver pied, etc, if they have that, they are spaldings, crosses between blues (or their mutations) and greens. Save that $2 Grand and make your own

Back
Top Bottom