How old till I can start letting them out in the run??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by michiganlarry, May 4, 2009.

1. michiganlarry

michiganlarry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    Marine City, Michigan
    After the big hatch was over this weekend I went out to the coop to see the 6 pullets that I got from TSC 2 weeks ago. They were probably 2 weeks old when I bought them. Their wings are fully feathered and they are starting to get some feathers around their necks and heads. Are they still to young to let out in the run?

2. NancyP

NancyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Bonifay,Florida
    As long as it is secure and warm enough they should be fine.

3. michiganlarry

Apr 7, 2009
    Marine City, Michigan
    I guess that was part of the question. If I leave the pop door open on the coop will they go back in if they get cold?

4. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Your biggest concern will be containing them. As long as your mesh is small enough to hold them they will be fine. You probably will have to chase them in to the coop until they get used to going in. Even then I would still check them each night.

5. michiganlarry

Apr 7, 2009
    Marine City, Michigan
    I can't get my tractor out there to plant the posts for the run wire yet. Still pretty soft around my house. I was just going to put in some temporary steel posts and chicken wire. Seems like they should be outside to me.

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You're right, they should be.

7. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    It sounds like you are going to be fine. Before my run was built, I used the wire sides of an old ferret cage. I'll bet your chicks will have a blast and tucker themselves out. As for whether or not they'll know to go into the coop, you may need to show them once or twice where to go. My 3 week olds taught my under-a-week olds what to do and now they're old pros. LOL [​IMG] Make sure to take lots of pictures. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  8. jamz

jamz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2009
    Southern Maine
    I made a small 3'x3' enclosure for the yard and have let my 1 week olds out almost every day, starting when they were maybe 5 days old. They love it, so long as I'm there and visible.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by