How old to put Roo on table

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by JustAChickenLittle&More, Dec 21, 2010.

1. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    Ok if I find out I have too many roos, I am going to have them table sauced. [​IMG] So...at what age would you suggest the butcher? Buff Orphingtons, Cochins, Americanas?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. sben451

sben451 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Anniston, AL
    We have sent several of our extra roos (Buff Orpingtons and Welsummers) to freezer camp, usually at around 16 to 20 weeks of age. We've processed some that were a little older. I usually cook these slowly in the crock pot and they are very flavorful and taste really good. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  4. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    Thank you guys. That was a great list of informaton.

5. MTopPA_18707

MTopPA_18707 Chillin' With My Peeps

Roosters - what age do they begin to crow ?

I ask because I can't have roosters in my neighborhood [due to noise] . . . the kids and I would like to incubate and hatch our own eggs, and are sure to have some roosters.

If the little roosters can abstain from crowing long enough then I'll grow them to 4 to 6 months then send them to freezer camp.

Failing that we could get sex linked hatching eggs and just weed out the roosters early on.

Xriva

6. Mervin

Mervin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Quote:Well it depends upon the individual. For instance, I had one start trying to crow around 6 weeks this spring. His brother, who was subordinate, didn't start until 12 weeks or so. There are at least three other roosters within earshot. I think the dominant rooster might have started so early b/c he could hear the others.

7. ninjascrub69

ninjascrub69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    JustAChickenLittle&More :

Ok if I find out I have too many roos, I am going to have them table sauced. [​IMG] So...at what age would you suggest the butcher? Buff Orphingtons, Cochins, Americanas?

If you dont live in the city where crowing would be a problem, wait until they are mature (or almost mature) and then you can butcher all of them at once, or just butcher one whenever you feel like eating chicken.​

8. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I hear 10 weeks for a meat bird, 20 for a dual-purpose.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by