How old to release new chicks into the flock?

rider357

Chirping
10 Years
Feb 25, 2011
Nokesville, Va
Hey All,
I've got 6 chicks I picked up last week that are 6 weeks old. There in a separate enclosure, under a heat lamp, in my main coop so the other birds can get used to them. The lamp is about 3ft above the birds and they seem to be doing fine. My question is how old should they be to be released out into the flock? The other birds seem to find them interesting at first, but haven't paid much attention to them since the first couple of days they were there. I'm thinking 10 weeks or so, but I wanted to check with you guys first.
hu.gif

Thanks guys!

Mick

I would at least wait until they are fully feathered, until they don't need the heat light.
You didn't mention where you are located. I kept mine apart probably for 3 months, letting them see each other through a fence. Then I just integrated them all together one night, and no one was the wiser. JMHO

BTW,
frow.gif
welcome-byc.gif

Jen

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks Jen. They are fully feathered now. I'm located in Northern Virginia. The daytime temps are in the mid to upper 40s now with the occasional 50 or 60deg day. I think I'll give em another 2 weeks and cut em lose.

Back
Top Bottom