How old to tell what breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mrstillery09, Mar 9, 2012.

1. mrstillery09

mrstillery09 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2012
    Kansas City, Missouri
    I posted some pictures here last week hoping to find out the gender of a few of my chicks. They were way too young though. Right now they are 1 whole week old! When I got these chicks 6 were from the assorted layer bin at Orshelns, and I got another 4 that were straight run barred rocks. However, my barred rocks don't really look like barred rocks, and I'm interested in what the others may be. Is a week to young for me to post pictures to see about breed, or am I better waiting till they get more feathers?

2. srslychickning

srslychickning Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2011
    Garner, NC
    I would say to ahead and post. I probably won't know what they are but other folks on here are way smarter than I am. One of them may know right away.

3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

There should be someone here that can help you determine the breed. As long as they are not mixed.

Barred rocks feather slower than a lot of breeds. :)

4. mrstillery09

mrstillery09 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2012
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Wonderful! I'll get some pics and do some uploading either tonight or tomorrow. So far the slowest feathers are from my "red" chicks...their wings are itty bitty with feathers compared to everyone else!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by