How old until you find out if its a roo or hen?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sunnibunny99, Apr 23, 2009.

1. sunnibunny99

sunnibunny99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    East Texas! :)
    Hey [​IMG]

Um I just wanted to know how old your chicken can be until you see signs of them being roo's?

Ours are two months [​IMG]

2. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    YOu should be able to tell by now. Depends on the type of comb. Also, roos will have pointy feathers around the neck and saddle areas, while hens have rounded feathers.

And your Japanese Bantam is a very small chicken with an upright tail. In case you don't know, a Bantam is a smaller version of your standard chicken. Some do not have a standard size. I think Japanese are one of these.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  3. sunnibunny99

Mar 19, 2009
    Hmmm...

About how big will the comb be?

Yes i know about bantys [​IMG] their so cute!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  4. citygirl

citygirl Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2008
    Dayton, Ohio
    Sometimes you don't know until they either start crowing or laying eggs. I had what I thought was the most beautiful EE pullet and one day it crowed when I went out to feed the girls. [​IMG] Others it's really easy - they look much different. I have 8 BC marans that are 10 weeks old. I'm sure that one of them is a roo, maybe on another one and the rest are pullets. I'm hoping I can tell in the next few weeks. Good luck.

5. Big Red Hen

Big Red Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Smoaks, SC
    The guy at the feed store said @ 3 weeks. Our 2nd set of chicks are 4 wks. and I believe 2 of 'em are roos. I did the roo test....holding them still between my thumb and index finger....if they struggle to get loose they're roos....well my white Ply. Rocks passed the test. I don't know how accurate that is. I saw it on another site.

6. sunnibunny99

Mar 19, 2009
    Thanks [​IMG]

7. Mrs.Puff

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    Can you post any pictures? Since you have so many different types, it's hard to say anything about the size of the comb. It really depends on the type of comb it is supposed to have. Not all of them are just straight up.

8. Mrs.Puff

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    Uh... I would not believe that "roo test". Old wives tale stuff if you ask me. There are more legitimate ways to tell. [​IMG]

9. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Post pics of any you're unsure of and we'll help you out.

10. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Quote:Yeah I woudnt trust that is like gambling.....Its more of one of those old wives tale kinda things...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by