How old was your EE when she laid her first egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Nicole01, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    My EE is 21 weeks and two days old. She is nit squatting, but her comb has reddened and grown a little. I'm thinking it will be a while yet before I see her first egg???

My RIR has been squatting for over a week, very noisy, and in the nest box making a clearing with the chips. I'm thinking any day now for her.

I'm really looking forward to see what color eggs will come out. My other EE is 14 weeks and the store I bought her from says she came from a green egg. I suppose she will lay a green egg as well?

2. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    My first EE took almost 6 months. My second was 16 weeks! I have no idea what is normal for them. I guess I'm not much help.....

3. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    EEs, being mutts, are hugely inconsistent. Because there's no standard, there's no normal.

It's pretty safe to say, though, that the more true Americauna/Araucana blood they have in them, the later they'll be, since both of those breeds seem to average a little late (from what I've read; I can't claim to have been in the physical presence of either).

4. BrynnRDH

BrynnRDH Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2011
    Mine was my first layer at 20 weeks. She laid every other day the first week and ever since then has laid 3-4 days in a row before taking a day off! I didn't think she would be such a good layer.

5. Nicole01

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I'm assuming my EE will be closer to 6 months before laying.

That's good to know. I keep forgetting they are a mixed breed. It would be so neat if they were a recognizable breed.[​IMG] They are so beautiful!

I've read they are pretty good layers! I hope mine lay for a long time.[​IMG]

6. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    24 weeks is average.

7. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    My first EE laid at 21 weeks and my second EE is now 19 weeks and squatting and her comb and face say, "I'm gonna lay!" I think this weekend or early next week on her. I have one more but she is only 16 weeks so we will have to see with her!

8. chicklover16

chicklover16 queen of flirts

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    mine started at 23 weeks

9. deezee

deezee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2011
    My EE laid her first egg just a few days short of 17 weeks. A beautiful blue egg.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Nicole01

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Quote:WOW! That egg is BEAUTIFUL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by