How Old Were Your Chickens When They Finished Laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by N F C, Oct 18, 2014.

1. N F C

N F C gobble gobble Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I was wondering...how old were your chickens when they pretty much stopped laying?

A friend of mine was told by a hatchery rep that she (the rep) has many chickens as old as 14 years old still laying eggs on a regular basis...either every other day or even daily.

I realize different breeds slow down at different ages but isn't it usually around the age of 2-3 years when a hen will slow to almost nothing? I was very surprised to hear this person says her 14 year old hens lay at all, let alone that frequently. Can that be possible?

2. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

I have 4 red sex-a-links age 4 and one black age 5 laying every other day mostly, but occasionally daily.

3. hennible

Except during moult...

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    My 2 and 3 year old production hatchery birds still lay well, probably 5 eggs a week. They do take the winter off, but I believe that's what they were designed to do, so just don't expect eggs from the older girls during the winter.

I've had hatchery birds laying at 7 years old when I sold them. Down to maybe 3 a week, but still laying. The 2-3 year burnout is largely from the commercial egg industry that turns birds over around the 18 month mark,when they molt and take a break. It's not worth it money wise to feed non-producing birds for them.

5. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    I'm more surprised they are alive at 14! I thought 5 was the average lifespan for most chooks. I'm pleased to hear otherwise of course and you do do hear the odd oldie etc but 14..... Wow

I'm going to have to rethink my add a couple every year idea so we always have young birds laying. Going on that age I could have over 30 birds on my little suburban block before we loose the first one to old age!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  6. hennible

I've heard of them making it to 20... But I've only heard it, yet to see it. Seen a few 11 or so olds on hear.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by