how old were your pullets when they laid their first egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ksmith, May 25, 2010.

1. ksmith

ksmith Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Nor Cal
    Also what breed are they? I am just curoious at when my pullets will lay, since some lay at 5 months and others lay at 7 months. so when ddid your pullets start to lay eggs and what were their breeds?? thanks!! post some pictures if you can of your flock!

2. FiveHens

FiveHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Waiting expectantly at 4.5 months...I know that's not much help [​IMG]

3. cletus the rooster

cletus the rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

20 weeks for the golden comets and 28 for the buff orpingtons and barred rocks

4. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    I started getting a few eggs at 16-17 weeks from Murray McMurray's Pearl White Leghorns... 18 weeks with my Barred Rocks... 28 to 30 weeks for the Ameracaunas, Delawares, and Blk Australorps (Heritage Breeds)

5. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    My RIR girls first started laying eggs at 19 -20 weeks.

6. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    20 weeks~ for my gold comets.

Cochins are 8-10 weeks old and nothing yet ... [​IMG]

My Black Stars are 6 weeks old, Easter Egger is 5 weeks so we'll see on those too

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My first pullet to lay an egg was 19 weeks old. The oldest (two) were nine and a half months old. All LF brahmas.
    Chickens are individuals. I didn't "start" at the same time my sisters did either.

8. MrRushed

MrRushed Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2010
    Dudley
    I have 12 RIR, they are 21 weeks and one of them just started 3 days ago. I've been geting 1 tiny egg a day for 3 days.

9. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    We have a mixed flock of layers, and the first ones to lay were the RIR's and one of the BR's at about 21 weeks. The ones that took the longest were one of the BR's, a Welsummer, and one of the EE's at about 10 1/2 months. Just goes to show that they are all truly different. The two barred rocks were from the same supplier, on the same day, and RIR's were one week younger than the BR's and the Buff Orp.

10. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    I had a few start at 20 weeks and many after that lay later. I think one started laying at 30 weeks. I can see the differenace in body type in relation to laying time with my Partridge rocks. The lighter laying body form layed sooner than the heavier duel purpose body chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by