How old would a silkie be before I see gender signs

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HeatherLynn, Jun 5, 2010.

1. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Songster

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Ok I have had him for 8 weeks. he was pretty good sized when I got him but still a baby I think. He was in the process of feathering out. He is now the size of my 9 week old barred rock roo. I don't know how much bigger he will get. I say its a he so i won't get my hopes up. Of course i am keeping him regardless. I've been looking though and I don't see a comb. Little black skin at the top of his beak that I guess could be the start of one. So with silkies what am I looking for. Also are their roos a bit less agressive so I can have more than one together?

2. Dar

Dar Crowing

Jul 31, 2008
    Sometimes you can tell between 6-8 weeks and other times you can't tell till it crows or lays

I have had both dosile and aggressive silkie roos

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Walnut combs develop much more slowly than single combs. Chances of telling by comb development for a silkie is pretty minimal until they are at least 5-6 months. I've had them crow earlier than that. Wattle development is also not a good clue with silkies. Streamers (long, spikey feathers coming off the back of the head and hackle) are the most noticeable development for the boys.

Even with a PQ silkie I do not think you would be able to reliably predict gender before 3-4 months of age. With partridge or greys you may be able to tell earlier as the girls have penciled wings.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  4. flowerchicks

flowerchicks Songster

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california
    Quote:What is a penciled wing? Would a blue silkie have penciled wings?

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by