How old...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by acid_chipmunk, May 15, 2010.

1. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    How old will my Pekins be before I can tell how many males and females? They are pretty big now, but no sign of drake feathers. They were born about April 7th, so that makes they a little over 5weeks. Also, two of them have pinkish bills, while the rest are all orange. Does this mean anything?

2. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I thought they needed to be 4-6 months before you could tell the males from females. But I am not sure. I have never had Pekins. But I would think it would be about the same as other ducks?
    I am going on who quacks and who doesn't with my four 10 wk old ducks. So far it seems I have 3 boys and 1 girl. Sure hope that changes.

3. L0rraine

L0rraine Songster

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    I thought the quacking thing at 5-6 weeks was fairly reliable -- though I've heard there can be occasional 'quiet' ducks that can fool you. Curly tail feathers on the drake come a little later. But I think it's sooner than 4-6 months. Geez, I've been through this a few times, you'd think I'd remember. [​IMG]

4. Red Maple Farms

Red Maple Farms Wish Granted

Feb 25, 2010
    NE Wisconsin
    When we begin slaughtering our pekins at seven weeks of age, we can tell by the quack if they are a male or a female.

5. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    Mine are quacking, problem is, all 10 of them travel in a pack and we can't tell who is quacking and who isn't. We want to keep 2 females and a male and the rest are headed to freezer camp very soon.

6. Red Maple Farms

Red Maple Farms Wish Granted

Feb 25, 2010
    NE Wisconsin
    Quote:What we do with our breeders is band them; males on the right leg and females on the left leg. A temporary solution would be to mark their bills with a magic marker.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by