How old

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by skyarrow, Apr 10, 2011.

1. skyarrow

skyarrow In the Brooder

Mar 6, 2011
    Victoria tx
    How old do my ducks have to be before I can let them loose in our pond they have most of there feathers but only one has it's quack lol there getting so big il post a pic soon

2. skyarrow

skyarrow In the Brooder

Mar 6, 2011
    Victoria tx
    [​IMG]

3. AnaD

AnaD Songster

Jan 27, 2011
    N. Ca
    They look about ready. In a week or so they will have many more feathers. It happens so quick. Maybe I'd watch them a few days and make sure they are doing fine before you leave them un attended.

BTW, I <3 Bob Ross. I watched him when I was young [​IMG] Great quote.

4. MissippiDuckDiva

MissippiDuckDiva It's All For L.O.V.E.

Apr 10, 2011
    Gulfport
    sky, I am SO glad you asked this question...we will be letting ours out, in our Lake, too, but we were not sure WHEN the right time is. It is not a large Lake and they will have the Duck Motel to always come home, along with Mama & Papa (me & hubby) to come home to as well.
    Oh and we are thinking of banding them, but IDK...what to do..
    Thanks for asking this question! I must post pics of my "littles" soon....I am getting used to the forum right now [​IMG]

Pam

5. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Songster

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Be aware that when you let ducks be "ducks", they may not want to come home and be counted each night.

If you want them as pets, I would NOT let them go to a lake or pond because their temptation to stay there is enormous.
    Trying to call them home will be fruitless and very frustrating to say the least.

I have a couple kiddie pools with fencing to keep mine happy. Then I can enforce the "law" to be in their pens at night.

Good Luck!

6. skyarrow

skyarrow In the Brooder

Mar 6, 2011
    Victoria tx
    Well our ducks are going to be wild ducks not pets

7. The Duck ABC's

The Duck ABC's Songster

Feb 5, 2011
    I have domestic ducks and they free range and play in the pond all day long. They come home each night, because they know they get fed and it is getting dark. They are afraid of being outside in the dark. You have to teach them routines and they will be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: