1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how old???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kane, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Kane

Kane Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2011
    South Haven
    My chickens are 3 1/2 months old. No eggs. When should I start expecting them??

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Well, when they are around 20 weeks, give or take a few weeks. Some breeds start laying quicker than others. I've had some hybrid layers start as early as 17 weeks, and then I've had some large breeds, like Marans, start at around 25 weeks.

Some of the signs you'll notice that mean egg laying will start soon are, the hen's will "squat" when you reach out to pet them. That's a sign of maturity, meaning they think you are their rooster and are submitting to you. Also, their combs and wattles get redder. They may fuss around the nesting boxes for a while too, without laying an egg.

3. Kane

Kane Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2011
    South Haven
    Thanks!!!!!![​IMG]

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    You are welcome! Waiting for that first egg is like waiting for Christmas! I've got some new hens (I've kept chickens 3 years now), and I'm waiting for them to start laying.....It's still exciting!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by